Monday 14 August 2006

Some Advice for Incoming Law Students

The first year of law school can be an incredibly stressful time for new law students. What kind of advice might I give to someone starting law school? After all, I myself was in law school in the early 1990s, and in many ways I am still getting over the experience of being a first-year law student (or "1L").

I could give a lot of advice from my own personal experience, such as "Don't eat a big piece of chocolate cake at bedtime every night and expect to stay thin," or "Yes, there really is a judge named Learned Hand" (what a great name). But a lot of what I might say has already been stated quite eloquently by Professor Barbara Glesner Fines of the University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law. Several years ago she posted online a speech she gives in class about law school and stress, and it remains as relevant as ever today. You can link to her advice here. I highly recommend you read it.

I also have one other piece of advice: if you haven't read Scott Turow's law school memoir One L yet--DON'T. Wait until after you have finished your first year of law school, and then read it. I read it in the summer after my 1L year, and I am fully convinced that if I had read it before law school, I might well have never gone. For those of you who already have read it, well, too bad for you, I guess. Hang in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean