Wednesday 12 October 2011

Bad Law School Grades

There is nothing as disheartening as finishing 1L and thinking you did alright only to log onto your law school's web portal and realizing your grade(s) are smack-dab-jab-pow-slam-bam awful.  There are two thoughts that go through a law student's head (other than suicide) when this happens: poker facing it to 2L or dropping out.  There are some big choices to be had if you are in this predicament.

First, I want to remind everyone who is not yet in law school that you are almost guaranteed to be graded on a curve at any law school you attend.  This is a ranking system that shows how well you did in comparison to  others in your class based on graduation year.  You will notice that this is the second big prestige issue you have come across in your law school career (the first being which school you attend).  Prestige is a HUGE thing in law school.  In fact, that's only the beginning of it.  You will have to deal with prestige for the rest of your life.

When you are faced with law school grades there are a couple of options.  First, you can suck it up to bad circumstances (or bad luck) and trudge on.  Or, you can drop out and consider doing something else with your life.  Dropping out requires you have a back up plan.  Can you move back in with your parents? 

I will explore both options in further detail below.

As far as for me.  I had awful grades during my second year of law school even though I did very well during my first year.  I stuck it out and I am very glad I did.  In my third year of law school I got a good paying legal internship that didn't even ask me about my grades.  I have the opportunity to continue to work with the firm after I graduate, even though I will probably relocate to the west coast. 

Continuing law school after bad midterm or final grades.

Many people do bad during their first semester or year with law school and decide to continue.  Many of these people believe that bad grades are a result of bad luck.  For example, a test could have taught on something that the student just didn't study.  "How was I to know that the rule against perpetuities would be on the exam?" you may ask.  You might also find that your computer shuts down during the exam and you honestly believe that having to write the exam by hand hurts your grade.  There are many reasons why bad grades may happen.  The reality is that bad grades hurt.  I have had horrible grades and have considered dropping out myself.  It's not a fun thing to do.

I don't recommend dropping out of law school just because you have bad grades.  Instead, you should ask yourself if law is something you really want to do.  If it is, go for it.  First year grades are important, but you will be able to improve your grades over time.  The reality is that law school grades are only a part of the equation.  Getting legal experience is just as important, if not more important than law school grades.  After your first legal job, especially, employers are going to ask what you did employment wise and not what kind of grades you got in law school.

How to Drop Out of Law School
I don't recommend dropping out of law school unless you are sure you want to drop out.  It is your choice.  Do not be scared due to negative information that you see on the internet or in the news.  Those sources have their own pecuniary interests and want to scare you.  Scaring people is one way that the media brings people back to read more.  However, if you want to drop out of school, then by all means, that is your choice, and your choice only. 

There are a few ways to drop out.  The first and easiest way you could do it is just to stop going (not recommended).  There are a lot of mix ups with financial aid and such to keep in mind.  Of course, you could just run overseas or join the military.  However, the best way to drop out is to fill a form out that says, "I'm dropping out."  I remember looking at that form with tears in my eyes, thinking that it was my only option.  I wondered what I would do, how I would survive.  I could not move back in with my parents.  I needed the financial aid checks to pay my rent and food.  I had no outside job.  I had no real world experience.  In short, I really felt that I needed law school.

If you are serious about dropping out, don't be afraid to go talk to someone.  The dean will probably want you to stay.  In fact, everyone will probably tell you to not leave.  After all, the school makes money off you.  But, if you want to do something else with your life, it is YOUR life.  However, DO NOT listen to people who failed.  They are NOT YOU.  Everyone's life turns out different, even people who do the exact same thing.  Opportunities may come your way that others had no chance of getting.  You are a unique individual, and even with bad grades, you may have the work ethic to be different than those who failed at getting a legal job -- even those who failed to get a job with top grades from higher ranked law schools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean