Wednesday 25 January 2012

New Semester... New Woes

So the new semester is in full force.  I feel like a dog in the humane society waiting to be put to sleep.  I keep telling myself: "soon I will be a rich lawyer like the person sitting next to me."  Then I start to laugh and the professor asks me what I am laughing about, and then I mumble something to myself. 

Seriously though, this semester is a lot like the last one.  Two weeks in and I know who the gunners are and am already annoyed by their antics.  Raising their hands to every question.  I guess I should probably like them, they do take the heat off me.  I have yet to be called on, which is great.  Also, these classes are pretty relaxed.  We are told in one class one class in advance if we will be called on or not.  I have one class left this week and know I won't be called on.  That's soothing at least. 

Then there is the summer internship hunt.  I am told that if we find something, we can maybe qualify for a stipend.  That would be great huh?  Just hoping it's not like the last one.  I want to actually do some law related work.  It's why I'm going in the first place, isn't it?

I was talking to someone the other day about school in general.  She was telling me that she believes that college one day was more challenging.  She could not say for sure, but based on what she has read, there was once a time where one spent great deals of time researching.  She says she feels like college is dumbed down.  I have to say I agree.  I see the stuff undergraduate students are doing now and I shake my head.  How did I not get straight A's on this stuff?  Stuff like a 2 page report on a movie, or memorizing a few terms for a big exam.  It only makes law school seem more brutal, but I think that's just the curve.  It's not that law school is that hard, it's more of a psychological endurance than anything.  Having to read 100 pages by itself is not challenging, but having to read it wondering if you will ever get a job in it or if you are wasting your time by reading it makes it seem a bit more of a chore.  Add that to the sounds of women moaning in the library and it starts to get weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean