Wednesday 23 January 2013

A LLM may be a good idea actually...

I have always felt different than my fellow law school students.  In fact, sometimes I feel like I don't belong with the rest of my class.  It's not that I feel like I'm better, and I sure don't think that I'm worse, it's just that I feel... different.

Like a law school misfit.

I have always felt different than my fellow law school students.  There is no denying that fact.  At first I thought I would be all smart and sour cream.  Then after I got a reality check in my second year.  Third year bop'd me on the head with average grades.  Average.  Yuck! 

So what's fourth year going to be like?  Wait, fourth year?  Well, I have been doing a little thinking lately and am wondering if an LLM might help me polish my resume a bit more before I find a job.  I really like school a lot.  In fact, I was sitting in class thinking to myself the other day and I came to the conclusion that federal financial aid is like welfare.  In fact, it's very similar.  It helps one to live without having to work, and as an added bonus (which other welfare does not provide) you get to feel smart.

The government is allowing you to go to school and is paying your way.  If you do IBR, the government actually forgives a huge part of your expense.  Plus, there are many government grants for undergrad.  After reading around one some websites, many poor people are opting to go to school because of the money they get. 

One girl actually stated that she is going to college because it is enough for her to live on.  This is a girl that otherwise claims that she steals and does illegal deeds to get by in life!  And there are others like her that are going to college!  In essence, going to college with government funding is a type of welfare! 

I like feeling smart.  I like improving myself.  And an LLM is one way in which one can improve themselves.  If you have a MOUNTAIN of debt, what do you have to lose by going for an LLM?  That's what I ask myself anyway.  It seems that if anything, one becomes more marketable, especially in an economy that is in a bad place at the moment.  If you have $200,000 worth of debt, and you have passed the bar but can't find a job, you may want to consider an LLM program and, at the same time, consider interning and increasing your experience in law.  What's the alternative?  Living in mother's basement?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean