Wednesday 9 May 2012

Recontacted the mentor, but I ask: Why?

At least one of my readers told me to get back in contact with my mentor.  So I did.  I figured there is no harm in at least writing her a letter.  Further, I was honest.  I have not talked to her since this has occurred, and to be honest, part of me wonders what the point is.  Before, I bother with that though, I shall let you read the letter:

TO THE MENTOR
Hello,

I am writing you as I have been bad with keeping in touch with you.  For that I am sorry.  I had a very rough semester, and to be honest, I was somewhat afraid to get back in touch with you due to not having much going for me.  Due to moving and financial aid issues my grades were quite bad.  I did not fail any classes, but I was quite upset to see that I did poorly in a couple of my classes.  Further, I was forced to leave my position in (city) due to trying to find a place to live and being asked to skip class, which I could not do.  I have felt like a failure, and honestly wonder if law school is worth it for me to continue.  I did quite well during my first year, mostly due to hard work.  I know that grades are very important to employers, and have been slowly looking for summer work.  I have also considered focusing on just getting a job instead of trying to be picky about finding something in my field.  Further, I have applied for a couple of clinics and other positions for the fall.  I keep hearing how awful the economy is now and how that even the top performers are not able to find work.  I guess the thing is, it's very disheartening at times.

Anyway, I wrote you as I wanted to update you on things and let you know that I am sorry for not keeping in touch better.

Talk to you soon,

THE REPLY

Dear Terrified Law Student, Let's get together real soon and schedule a call even sooner. Can I meet you or call you some time today? Believe me, I know that life can be tough. But I've found that it helps to talk. I'm here for you.

-Mentor

***


First, the more I study and the more I think about it, the more I realize I do not want to practice law.  I would rather work in a non-profit or, hell, even barely subsist than deal with that day in and day out.  Second, I am worn out from all this hassle.  Third, I am figuring that I'd rather teach English abroad in Asia (a place I have traveled to and enjoyed) or join the military (enlisted, not officer) than be a lawyer.  Fourth, I continue hearing from my family that "they are so proud of me."

I have not posted on this blog in a while.  I figured that I should focus on my studies.  I should read every page given to me.  I should attend every class.  I should outline myself.  I should focus on school.  Lucky for me I was not called on this semester, which was nice.  Instead, I was able to completely focus on my classes.  But in the end, I still think "what's the point?" 

A few months back I posted a letter my grandparents wrote to me about how I should not drop out.  I have not spoken to them since that letter and, honestly, am quite angry that they mentioned it.  Further, other members of my family have bombarded me with comments such as "you are going to do so great!"  "we are so proud of you!"  "Terran (a psychic who gave me a palm reading during my childhood) always said you would go far!" (More on this in another post, as I don't believe in psychics). 

The truth is, I am quite angry.  Next week (5 days actually), I am going back home for the first time in two years (since starting law school).  I am not ready for the bombardment of questions (the inquisition). 

Yes, I got back to the mentor, but we have not met again (nor have we talked on the phone).  Further, the more I think about it, the more I do not want to practice law, so what is the point of calling the mentor?  What is the point of meeting up with her?  I don't know. 

One year left.  It's going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean