Monday 18 June 2012

Coming to terms with it all...

The last year has been an emotional roller coaster for me.  My first semester of 2L ended with me receiving horrendous grades.  I battled my way through emotions of "why try", "can I even get an A any more?" "have other law students got better?"  I lamented, missing a good chunk of classes in the last semester, going above the allowed absences in a few of my courses.  Then, I decided to cram at the end, spending hours upon hours on outlines, thinking that maybe there was a chance of me doing decent.  Better than C's.  Maybe I could get average grades.  In the end, I was able to pull in a few decent grades, while at the same time thinking that I may never even practice law.

Further, I battled depression knowing that I would probably never get the coveted $100k+ job or the summer internship that supposedly pays $20k.  I laid in bed at night, staring at the ceiling, realizing that I was paying over $150,000 for the privilege of going to law school.  How long would it take me to pay this sum back?  I did great in my law and economics course, and with my understandings of economics, I should have known better. The truth is, I didn't listen to reason.  I just jumped in to law school because for years I told myself I wanted to do it.  After three years of applying to schools I should have bit the bullet and gave up, but instead, I told myself it was so important to get into law school.  I knew little to nothing about the state of the legal economy when I was accepted, but even if I did, it would have been too little too late.  I was devoted to my goal of getting into law school, no matter what the tier, no matter what the cost.  I would have went to Harvard or Cooley, as long as it was an ABA accredited law school.

This summer has given me a lot of time to think.  Actually, the whole year, in all its craziness, has allowed me to come to terms that I will probably not be pulling in $100k+ a year in law.  Further, I have come to the conclusion that I do not want that any longer.  The time spent surrounded by the walls of a firm, the low man on the totem pole, the over-worked and undersexed partner breathing down your back.  No thanks.  I don't want to end my day to just go home to a fancy house that I get little time to enjoy, in a car that I only sees the road between home and the firm.  Even $100k a year is too little when it's my youth that is on the line.  No thanks.

So what is it that I want?  I don't know, now.  Do I want to practice law?  I don't think so.  Will I take the bar?  Yes.  I will still complete the goal I went after.  I am too close to quit and I feel that in the end this was an expensive way for me to prove that I can attain my goal.  I am still young and I still have many options in life ahead of me.  Law, however, may not be in the cards for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean