Monday 18 June 2012

The Barrister's Ball

Law School is like high school in many ways.  You are dealing with people who are still growing up, and many who are still battling certain 'urges'.  One of those urges is trying to prove you are immensely more intelligent than your peers.  Another one is the desire to hear yourself speak.  Another urge is the sexual frustration that comes with studying Tax Law until midnight and forgoing sex.  That is, if you have a sex life.  That is, if you have a relationship while in law school.

During the halfway mark of the spring semester law school throws a bump in the road.  It's called Barrister's Ball.  Basically this is adult prom.  No, I have never went.  No, I never will go.  I did not go to my prom either.  Nor do I feel I missed out.  However, many are getting real jittery at the idea of this big dance that is just around the corner.

My school, like many law schools in the US, throws a barrister's ball.  This one costs $75.  I don't know where the money goes.  I am guessing the student bar association. Maybe it goes to an evil gopher who controls time and space.  All I know is that there is no way in hades that I am going to this thing.  Why?  to dance with drunken chicks that drool on you and talk about consideration or contingent remainders?  I think not!

***

Fast forward.  The ball has passed.  Pictures were posted.  The smartest of the smart in their big black suits and the girls in their dresses, all smiles and fancy free.  Drinks were flowing and the food was supposedly delish.    Maybe I missed out.  All I know is that I did not want to go, and that is why I did not go.  Am I better person than those for not going?  No, not at all.  The truth is, part of me was a bit curious, that's why I looked it up and went through those pictures.  However, that being said, I am glad I did not go.  I do not fit well into those things, and I don't think I ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean