Saturday 23 February 2013

Barrister's Bawl and New Job

The Barrister's Ball is coming up at my school in a few weeks.  At least I think it's in a few weeks.  To be honest, I don't really pay attention to that stuff.  You see, I am not the kind of person who likes to go out and party.  I don't do clubs and I don't see the point.  My idea of going out is traveling.  I am, afterall, the World Traveling Law Student, who has been to places such as Costa Rica, Panama, Puerto Rico, Mexico (multiple times), Canada, Most of the United States (NY, CA, WA, ID, MT, CO, IL, MA, VT, TX, NM, WY, IN, NH, NJ, PA, OR, NV, AZ, MN, ND, WI, CT, FL, GA), United Kingdom, Ireland (twice), France, Italy, Singapore, Thailand (twice), Malaysia, Taiwan, and in a few months Europe again (Netherlands) and Africa.  Anyway, with that in mind, I am not going to the barrister's ball.  I have never been there.

Needless to say, many people really do enjoy the Barrister's ball, and it's part of the law school experience for many.  Some call it something similar to a high school prom on steroids.  That may be the case.  I just don't see myself really enjoying it.  Tickets are quite expensive and I doubt that I would eat most of the stuff there.  I am, after all, a vegetarian.

On another note, I recently got a job.  It was rather funny in the sense it's a job that I had an interview for a while back but didn't go to.  Well, a few months later the person called me and told me that she would like to interview me.  I decided to give it a go.  Well, it's at a large firm in Manhattan and I am making quite a bit as a legal intern.  Way more than I expected.  Plus, I can continue on after law school if I like, take time off for the bar (and the Africa trip).  Therefore, since I am thinking of moving back to California in a year or so, I will have a decent paying job until then.  And to think I wasn't even trying -- I didn't send hundreds of resumes out (in fact, I've only sent about 5 out this semester)!  Plus, I was hired on the spot, no waiting for a phone call.  It just reproves to me that the scambloggers are DEAD WRONG on all counts.

The legal economy is improving.  I can see the signs all around me.  I realize that some people will have some trouble finding jobs.  However, I do think that those who try and put in some effort will eventually find something good.  I feel blessed to have got the job I did with so little effort.  In fact, I am thankful that I did get a job, and thank God for leading me to it.

On another note, my ebook sales have done really well.  So far I have made about $200 and expect to continue bringing money in for the foreseeable future.  That's what's great about publishing -- an income stream that continues to pay well after the work is done.  That just shows that there are some ways to make money without having to get your panties in a bunch. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean