Saturday 23 February 2013

Law School Professor Reviews


BREAKING NEWS:  There is a new FORUM that law students, graduates, and those who are interested in learning about the state of the legal economy are welcome to use.  This FORUM is open to everyone, with no need to register.  If you are interested in law school or want to share job strategies, please feel free to post or read any of the material on the forum.  Thank you

This was the course review that I did for one of my professors, for Bankruptcy law.   I had a lot of fun with the class and enjoyed sitting there, learning bankruptcy law day after day.  Bankruptcy is a good field to go into if you want to start your own legal business, so I suggest that all law students take a course on it. 

There are a few fields that I would recommend for starting your own legal practice:

Real Estate
Immigration

Bankruptcy
Wills Trusts & Estates

Family Law
Worker's Compensation Law

Take a few of these courses and get some experience in them.  While working, try to see how the lawyer runs the business.  Keep in mind how to file a case with the court, what is necessary, and what the average client looks like.  How long does a case usually last?  What does the attorney usually spend the most time with?  Are most cases a win?  What kinds of cases seem like an "automatic win."


Remember folks, your future is in your own hands.  Nobody else is going to get you a legal job except for you.  Those who expected their schools to walk them from classroom to employment sure learned the hard way.  Also, writing a blog that complains about the system is NOT going to get you a job.  No way.  No how.  Brown cow.



And with that, I give you the review I gave to my Bankruptcy Law professor last semester.

***

COURSE MATERIALS

The book was a bona fide treat in a sea of somewhat useless law books.  The cases were on point and the authors used just the right amount of humour to spike my interest.  When my eyes were starting to shut, a laughable line would lunge from the page and I would be bellowing with joy.

The material that the professor supplied us with was on par.  I was always excited to see the papers stacked in the front of the class.  "What treat am I in for today?" I would ask myself as I shimmied to the front of the room, reaching my hand out to grab one. 

The professor did a great job of putting notes on the board that were understandable.  Let me say this right now.  I will own this final.  Oh yes I will.

PROFESSOR STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES

The strengths of this professor is his jolly nature which makes the somewhat dry (and terrifying) subject of Bankruptcy literally come alive.  A joke here, a joke there, a sentence or two said about something or other, a joke, a sentence.  This class was more entertaining than reruns of I.M. Weasel on Cartoon Network (or Confessions: Animal Hoarding on Animal Planet)!  When the hurricane ravaged the land, I had a family member listen to a lecture that was recorded.  She howled like a banshee when she heard the part about "two cents and a pile of dog s**t." 

The weakness of this professor was perhaps his charisma which may or may have not turned a few off.  Some people don't know how to handle a man with a sarcastic tone.  Many take it as a threat, wanting to hide in their shell like a scared turtle.  I don't know if I was in a classroom or in a pet store, because there were a lot of "turtles" swimming about around me.

Another issue was the overabundance of laptops.  Many individuals were more interested in Google chat than the highly entertaining lecture. In fact, I say ban 'em all outright!  Others mentioned that they did not understand the material.  I think it was presented just fine.  In fact, if you were surfing the internet the whole time, chances are you will not understand the material.  That's just my 2¢. 
Again, thank you for reading.  This blog is about to hit 100,000 views!

Pageviews all time history
96,597

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean