Friday 3 February 2012

1L's are so cute...

It is always interesting to me how at the beginning of the semester there are so few people in the library.  I tend to study there, myself, as I like how quiet it is in the morning and I, for some reason, can not study at home.  Maybe it's the distractions.  Either way, I was in the library briefing some cases and could not help but notice there was someone next to me studying.  Being curious by nature, I decided to see what class she was studying.  It was contracts.  I noticed she had all her markers out, sticky notes of various colors, and a bevy of pens.  I smiled, thinking to myself about those 1L days, when everyone used to think of law school as a type of kindergarten. 

Then, on the way to tinkle, I noticed another person with loads and loads of notecards, and she was writing like a fiend.  Again, a 1L class, Torts.  I smiled, thinking "these 1L's are adorable".  I rarely, in the upper classes, see anyone doing this type of thing.  Everyone is a bit more lethargic and scared in the higher up classes, except for the few that probably make themselves feel better by going to top-law-schools and posting about how they are going to find a job, but nobody else will. 

I kind of miss the days when I highlighted in my Property book in 4 colors.  Blue for rules, pink for profound sayings, yellow for important parts, pen underlines for important facts, and green for policy.  Now I just scribble and read through furiously, wondering if this stuff will even be asked about on the test, or hoping that I don't get called on for the next class. 

I will say, law school was a lot more fun before my highlighters all went dry and my books looked like the rainbow.  In fact, I wonder what the people who bought them off half.com thought when they received my old books.  If it was me, I would have been depressed, thinking to myself, awww I wanted to color in it.  In fact, it probably feels like you purchased a used coloring book.  Maybe not as many people are like this, but I was, and a ton of 1Ls seem to be.  Maybe it's a type of syndrome.  A side effect of the law school education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean