Wednesday 22 February 2012

Visiting Family for the First Time Since Starting Law School...

I am now in my second year of law school and this summer I will be going to visit my family.  The last time I visited them was before I left for law school.  It has been almost a year and a half, and while I have not had to constantly hear questions about being a future lawyer, I have been asked for some legal advice on occasion as well as heard the comments regarding how I am going to be the first in the family to be a lawyer and what not.

I am sure most of you hear something like:  "it will be good to have an attorney in the family!"  That is, unless there is already one in the family.  There is not one in my family.  I will be the first.  It is truly a thrilling time for the family.  A real treat for us all.

Back when I started this blog, I wrote a post called Don't Drop Out! in which I said that I mentioned to my family that I was considering quitting law school.  After a while of not commenting on this topic, it sort of died off.  I have not heard as much about law school since then, however, I am kind of dreading going back to where I grew up and being bombarded with questions about the law and my future legal career.  I have in the past been asked countless times by people what my concentration is going to be.

What kind of lawyer are you going to be?
Me:  My goal is to be the employed kind. 

What kind though?  Don't you get a choice, like ambulance chaser or litigator?
Me:  I... Maybe that one.

Seriously, though.  I am dreading the trip back.  What ever happened to the golden days of college where one went back home during a break in their studies and felt good about what they were doing.  You know, the first in the family, telling everyone about the joys of college.  About how we were learning so much.  About how we were excited to start work.  All I can think about is how scary it is going to be in a year and a half.  About how everyone expects me to find a good job, and how I don't even know if I will be able to find one at all.

Perhaps those 'golden days of college' are a myth.  Or maybe it's reserved for those Harvard and Stanford types.  Not us second, third and fourth tier law students.  But most parents don't know the difference.  I tried to explain it once to someone, but they just shrugged and pretty much said 'a law degree is a law degree'.  I remember at the orientation how someone who was talking about the joys of law school said:
"Don't worry too much about your class rank.  Even if you are dead last you'll still be called Esquire."
While that is true, is the title worth the money spent?  It's more of an honorary title if anything.  And, you still have to pass the bar in order to get it.  If you are dead last that might be a problem.  Of course the law schools don't tell you that. 

I have a feeling that the remark above encompass much of what my family thinks of law school.  It doesn't matter how well you do as long as you graduate, and if you do, you're set for life.  No matter what many of us tell our families, it is not believed.  And when we can't find jobs, and we try to say, "I told you so," they see us as the failure.  Or maybe they see it as bad luck.  After all, those lawyers on TV have jobs, and there are law offices everywhere!  How can there not be enough jobs?! 

I can't help but wonder how many other people have gone through or are going through a similar situation.  I am sure I am not in the minority.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean