Wednesday 15 February 2012

Law School Career "Services"



I walked into the career services office at my law school on a Thursday evening.  I had set the appointment a couple of days ago, and was excited to see what I would find out regarding job opportunities in my area.  I knew I was late in the search, in fact, my spring semester was already half way over, and soon I would no longer be a 1L.  I was late in the game, but I was still in it-barely.  The office seemed decent enough, with shelves of books on how to be a successful interviewee, JAG brochures, pamphlets about the wonderful programs that my school was offering.  But one thing that the room lacked was living breathing human beings. Where had they all went?

I stood in the empty room, looking around.  Perhaps I am too early, I thought to myself.  My appointment was not for another 5-7 minutes so I figured I would look around.  Maybe read some of those interview strategies.  I had seen them hundreds of times, but it was worth taking another look.  I grabbed a few different pamphlets, such as a resume building guide, and decided to keep them for later, to read on the bus home.  I sat down on the chair.  Comfortable, I waited and waited, not hearing a peep. They must be so busy helping the other students find great summer jobs!

As I surveyed the room, I heard a voice coming towards me.  It was a lady.  "Do you have an appointment," she asked.  She seemed friendly.  "Yes," I said, standing up.  "He will be with you shortly," she said, confirming my name.  I sat back down.  He's probably opening my resume right now and going over what I need to change.

After waiting another few minutes and thinking about what to say when I was summoned forth.  A jolly young man, perhaps my age (late 20's to early 30's) called me in.  He wore a big silly grin, as if he was excited for something.  Perhaps to help a student in need of a job?  I walked in the office.  "Have a seat," he said.  "Why are you here?"  I am here out of desperation, I need some legal experience, because learning theory alone won't land me a job!

"I am looking for a summer internship and have not had much luck," I said. 
"I see," he said, looking at his computer.  Youtube was open, in the middle of a video.  He moved the window aside, opening up the resume I had sent him a couple days ago. 

"Are you going to the auction tonight?" he asked, trying to start conversation.
"No, probably not," I said, having no interest in spending more money on the school than I already was. 
"It is going to be great," he said, trying to get me interested.  I nodded, waiting for him to get to my resume.  It's right there guy, go ahead, tell me what I need to know, oh career counselor!

He was silent for a moment, not knowing what to say.  He then started to read it back to me.  "You went to school at..." he said. 
"Yeah," I replied.
He continued to go down the list, changing some of the fonts and indents, but nothing substantial.  He then continued with the small talk. Darn it!  I liked that helvetica font!

"So, what kind of music do you like?"
"Pretty much anything."
He noticed my last name, and commented that I had a name similar to a band he liked.
"No, I have not listened to him," I said, when asked about the band. 
"You should," he said, ignoring the resume.  Maybe he has a job opportunity for me working with that band?  Perhaps they are suing those kids who steal music on the internet!  I could do that!

"So, I am interested in a summer internship," I said.  "I have checked Simplicity and have applied for a few, but thought I should have my resume and cover letter looked over beforehand."

"Yeah?" he said, looking at his watch.  I had probably been in the room now for a total of six minutes.  Maybe 7, being generous. 

"Symplicity is good," he said.  "A lot of good stuff on there."  I began to wonder if this man was interested in the task of his job, being a career counselor, or if he was more concerned with making small talk.  I need to learn your ways, oh counselor.  Help me gain the knowledge that you are paid the big bucks to know! 

"Do you watch youtube?" He asked.  I could not believe it.  "Sometimes.  Do you know of any other good sites for finding jobs?"

"Symplicity is the best.  Check out this video."  He began playing the video he had paused from earlier, and then paused it again shortly after, as he noticed I was not really into it.

"Well, let me know if you need any more help," he finally said, standing up. 
"I was wondering about job searching strategies, if my resume is fine..."
"Go ahead and go over your resume and resend it to me," he said, leading me towards the door.  "So you're not going to go to the auction tonight?"  F**k your auction!

I was stunned.  What the hell had I set this appointment for?  What was the point of this man's job?  To sit and watch YouTube?  I mean, seriously, I am paying this man's salary.  I was pissed.  I did not need to waste my time in having someone change the font on my resume and telling me to go over it.  I did go over it, and I was not given any advice regarding what to change.  Is this seriously how a career services office works? 

I now left, realizing that the job search was 100% in my hands.  I knew that the career services office would not hand me a job, nor did I expect them to.  However, I figured a little guidance would be nice.  My lesson that night was that the legal job search was my task now, and pretty much my task only.  I stepped out of there, stunned.  What was the point in that?  I walked off. 

I wonder if he won anything at the auction that night.  He seemed to be excited about it.  As one of that school's top students at the time, I would have thought the school would have had some interest in seeing that I was employed.  But the interest instead was in the monetary gain that I was providing for the school.  I say again, f**k your auction!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean