Sunday 14 October 2012

JP Morgan's "boss" says "housing market is back, baby! It's back!"


This is what the bottom quartile at Cooley will get you in 2014.  Saddle up!
Law graduates and students, get ready to buy your first home.  According to the article posted here on BBC, the market has turned for housing.  Law graduates, rejoice!  You soon shall be in your very own homes.  It's time to start buildin' some good ol' fashioned equi-tay.
Although I just moved into a cheap studio, I am hopeful that once my lease ends that I will be moving to a new condo in the East Village just in time for me to get that big law job.  After all, if the housing market has turned, the law sector is bound to turn as well. 

Think about it, there is going to be a lot more transactional work, and real estate law is going to be huge.  Hell, I am considering taking a real estate law course next semester to get ready for the big upswing.  And if I can't get a job in law, maybe I can become a broker or a real estate person. 

These are exciting times we live in, folks.

Cooley grads, get ready for the big time!  You may have been worried that you were at the lowest perceived law school in the world, but now there's a chance for you.  But, you must be vigilant.  And you must be willing to "burn the midnight oil." 

If you want to get the big jobs, you can't let your cat get in the way of your studies.  

My advice for all you recent and upcoming law school grads:  Go talk to your deans.  Deans need you to get the big jobs in order to keep their all-important U.$. News and World Report rankings high.  And schools like Cooley are clamoring to get onto the first tier. 

Here are some questions you might ask your dean:

"I am graduating soon.  I have read the BBC article and want to know how I can use my law school experience to have my piece of the pie."

"I am considering real estate.  I plan on buying a big three bedroom close to Times Square upon graduating, and would like to work in real estate.  What firms are hiring."

"Is it too late for me to get a tuition refund if I drop out right now?"

"Importantly, we believe the housing market has turned the corner," Mr Dimon said in a statement.



This is what the curtain-girl's dorm probably looks like.
Well, it's only a matter of time before some d-d-d-d-d-dean comes out and says the same thing, right?  I imagine a boatload of LLM programs for real estate in the pipeline. 

What do you crave?


When I was a child I was scolded often for having an appetite that was too voracious.  I was told that my "tastes" were for things that were often reserved for the rich - the 1% of society (even though my parents did not say "1%").  Well, I am finding that as I go through law school I crave less and less of those things.  Of course, I think that having a nice house in the East Village would be nice.  Who doesn't, though?  Although, I do ask myself what I would be happy with.  Perhaps just a job that gives me some stability and some extra money to go out and play with from time to time. 

Many law students who I see crave the biggest and the best, and I believe that they are going to be in for a big wake up call when they graduate.  While some may get decent jobs, the truth is that many are not going to be buying $100 curtains for each window in their studio and $750 purses.  They should not fret though, as I hear there are some really nice knockoffs in Chinatown that are hard to tell apart from the real thing.  Many of these knockoffs cost under $50.  The rest of that money could be used to put a nice pair of curtains on layaway at K-Mart. 

The Reality
Of course, the reality is that buying a house is not always the best option.  I don't know if I would honestly buy a house here in New York.  While it would be nice to work towards some equi-tay, the reality is that buying a house is expensive and something that really ties a person down.  There is sometimes a stigma towards renting v.s. buying, but I could care less about stigmas.  I have been stigmatized my whole life, and am somewhat used to it.  If you can't handle stigmas, then you are probably going to find yourself in a "world of hurt."  And you don't want to be in a "world of hurt."

Buying a house is good for people who are preparing to pop out inordinate amounts of babies (one of my sibling has 9 such babies and is preppin' up for number 10).  I have no desire to procreate.  For those that do, buying may be for you.  But, the idea of being tied down with children doesn't float my boat. 

Buying a house is also good for someone who wants to remain in a single area for a very long time.  I don't think I want to remain here forever.  The idea of spreading my wings seems nice.  Trying a new locale from time to time.  Maybe going overseas to teach English or something like that.  Buying a house is going to make that awful hard. 

The big banks want the world to think that the housing market has turned, and they will do and say anything to get people to start buying again.  Many of these big wigs have waited long enough for the market to turn, and if they want to appeal to the presses, then they are going to do that.  There's a lot of money in housing, but not if houses just sit empty or sell for cheap.  And what is spookier than an empty house full of cobwebs in October?  It's just downright bone chilling.

Never Trust the Media - It's Basically Pure Evil

If my life experiences have taught me anything - it's that the media is generally wrong.  From television news to the newspaper, it's all a bunch of gibberish.  The weatherman can't even get the forecast correct.  You walk outside with an umbrella to find out that the sun is shining all day long.  And yet people refuse to look at the sky and instead opt for the weatherman's opinion.  It is just an opinion - one that makes the news companies MILLION$ of DOLLAR$. 

I have subjugated myself to conventional wisdom for far too long.  I have allowed myself to believe that certain things were good and others bad.  The media claims that life should be lived a certain way.  Buy a big suburban house, get a couple of cars, create a few babies, and that is happiness.  Wrong, that's only happiness for a few people - not for all of society.  Personally, I would be miserable in such a boxed up middle class lifestyle.  That's not something I crave.  Yet, we are told constantly by the television that is the way to live, and there is something wrong with us if we don't have that life.

Bad Religion
Album: Stranger than Fiction
Song: Television



Television, television, television, television

oh yeah! I want to bask in your golden light,

submerge in electric waves,
I need my connection to the world outside

the world outside is buzzing like an angry wasp in summer,

the candidates are running, and soon the son of God is coming,
crackle mental convolutions tune in to the revolution,
whereby everyone's included so we'll never have to be alone

every atom of my body, blood and sinew, bone and fibre,

I can't distil you from my blood,
you're a hungry germ inside of me,
you're my lover, you're my heroine,
my conscience and my voice,
and I know that I have learned to let you in I
will lever have to be alone

I'd take after my mother but she's from a different generation,

I prefer my big brother he's so gentle and understanding,
and I learn what I can from him by the television light,
so that when I'm all alone I know everything's gonna be alright


The media tries to literally coerce us into living a certain type of life, and if we don't, we get whipped by it from the rest of the world.  I can't even count how many times I have heard from family, friends, and others that my life was "stranger than fiction" or that I should live a certain way.  Yet, I found that I was happier when I just sat back and let my life be lived how I wanted it to be.  Sure, it may appear "stranger than fiction" but I found I was happier living my life according to my own grand design.

To allow your life to be controlled by outside sources, by myths, will only make you feel like a big fool.  The media has perpetrated myth after myth for millennia.  From the days of the old Catholic church which told sinners to pay a penance for salvation (as if salvation could be bought with conventional money), to the present, where Matt Lauer and his progeny control the minds of many people across the this fair land. 

That glow of the television makes it all too easy to give in.  For some reason our eyes are easy focused on the sight of those changing images.  Our ears cry to hear the voices and commands of the people on the other side of the screen.  We can't seem to fathom living life according to our own designs.  It seems strange and wrong to plan our own lives.  We feel that if we don't aim for the same ideals and goals that are preached by the television voices that we have let down our families and our friends - as if what they think actually matters.  Does the thoughts and perceptions of anyone other than yourself really matter?  Or is it all-important that you please other people for the rest of your life, with the result only being your own suffering?  Wake up kiddos!

Many people today are in law school and are miserable.  Many went because their parents told them to, because they thought it would be a certain way (either from school advertising or from television shows showing a larger than life image of the law) or due to the perception from the days of old that law was a calling of the elite.  I am not saying that law is bad, but many people have attended law school for the wrong reasons.  Many people, impressionable young people have taken the advice of others and are angry that their choice was made for them.  And they still fall into the same trap of listening to what others say and living their lives according to what others want.  Others which include; the media, the television, the WEATHERMAN (the most worthless job on Earth), and the parents.  But as adults we can let go of all that and start to live our own lives and ignore all this outside bologna.  If there is anything that the article above has shown me (and other articles) it's that we can't trust anything but ourselves. 

The media shalt not be our guide.  Only we can decide how we want to live our lives.  Don't fall for the biggest myth of our time.  The media is a disgusting lie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean