Tuesday 2 October 2012

Moving Woes...

I am sorry that I have not posted here lately.  I have been moving and setting up my new apartment.  Overall, I am really excited to have moved.  My place is a lot smaller, but it is cheaper and it has a lot of nice touches (separate entrance, decorative fireplace, dishwasher, new appliances, big bay windows, lots of light, brownstone building).  It has a big kitchen (especially for Manhattan) and a full bathroom with tub and a large living room with alcove.  The price wasn't bad at all, either.  In fact, I knew when I saw this place I had to have it.  Compared to everywhere else, it was a steal.  Further, it's only a few blocks from the subway and a block from a really nice park.

Sadly, I ran into some internet trouble when moving.  I told my ISP that I was moving on Sunday and to change the internet then.  However, while I was watching the X Files on Netflix on Friday afternoon I noticed my internet stopped working.  I called the ISP and told them that I was moving on Sunday and they said that they had just turned off my internet service.  I asked if they could turn it back on and they said they would need to have someone come out there to turn it on. 

So, get this, they can turn OFF my internet from their location but they can not turn it back ON?  Doesn't that seem a bit strange?  Well, I had to wait until Monday afternoon to get my internet back up and running.  That meant no blogging, no playing Mists of Pandaria... nothing.  I could check my e-mail on my pay as you go phone, but that experience left me mostly annoyed. 

But, now I am back and exhausted after the move.  I hired some movers to help out and the truck they brought was a 10 foot when they said they would bring a 14 foot.  Well, everything but a futon and a desk fit (it would have fit in the 14 foot they had told me).  And although the rate was set at $250 flat for the move, since they had to make an extra trip, it ended up costing me $560 + tip!  The movers themselves (big burly muscle men) were nice and worthy of a tip, but the company really slipped up.  I guess that's life.  What else could have I done about it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean