Monday 14 November 2011

When people ask you about law school...

So I was telling an old friend of mine that I was in law school.  He asked me what I was doing with my life and I was trying to figure out a way to say "I'm in school still..." without looking like a bum.  To be honest, part of me wishes I was out of school and doing something with my life.  You know, using this great legal education to further my own ends.  But that is not the reality.  Of course, he was impressed by this and was like "wow, isn't law school tough?"  I was not really in the mood to talk about it, but stated, "it can be." 

I think the hardest part I have with law school is the fear that once I get done that all that effort will be meaningless.  Who knows if I will get a job, and if I do, will it be one I like?  Will the people I work for be respectable human beings, or will they be people I hate working with.  Part of me wonders if I even want to work in law.  Maybe I could start my own business instead.  But what?  There's so much going through my head when I start talking about law school.

Two years ago I was thrilled at the idea of talking about law school.  People seemed so impressed by it and I was thrilled to have it asked.  Wow, how things change in such a short time. 

I have been going to a lot more blogs on here, which are very interesting.  I can't say I agree with everything they say, but they do paint a harsh picture of the reality we are not made aware of when filling out that law school application and sending application fee after application fee away to different schools.  I wonder, would have I even applied after reading the stuff I read now?  Maybe they should have a 1L or pre 1L course where one studies the inner workings of the law school system.  In fact, I think a high school course where one studies adult professions and how competitive it is to get into them, and how many actual spots are open in them would do wonders.  Maybe that kind of thing is taught in economics.  I would not know though, as I did not take economics in high school.  Either way, there's way too many schools now and way too little positions for graduates.  What's a person to do? 

That's where I have got the idea of starting my own business.  Yet I came from a family that told me that when I grow up, I get a job and work for someone else.  That's the big reason I went to law school.  I figured if I am going to work for someone else I am going to earn a lot.  Now I see that I might end up someone's slave for a small pittance.  And all the while the person I am working for would be reaping the fruits of my labor.  I don't think that's what I want.  So, I have decided I would like to start my own business.  What?  I don't know.  I thought about law, but realistically I would need a few years at least of solid law experience before going in for myself.  What else then?  A bakery, a plumbing supply company?  A car dealership?  Any of these things would probably make me more money than I can expect to learn from law school, and all those things require no college.  Kind of crazy to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean