Tuesday 29 November 2011

"Don't drop out..."

Information leaked to my family that I was seriously considering dropping out of law school.  Now, keep in mind I do not get any financial help from my family.  Many of them are unemployed right now.  My grandparents are on the brink of retiring and collecting SSI for the rest of their life.  My mother is being forced out of her home and her fiance lives in a camper because the commute to his job is around 3-4 hours.  My father has been unemployed for going on two years.  So when I mentioned that I was considering dropping out of law school they were frenzied.

Immediately I got an e-mail from my grandparents:


"You mentioned you were thinking about quitting school.  I hope you decide not to because you have so much time invested in it and you are almost at the finish line.  You may look back and really regret it later on if you quit now.  Sure there are people out there that just see gloom and doom but if you have the will to succeed, and Lord knows you do, the right position will be there for you .  It sounds like you have been doing real good and getting internships so you must be doing something right.    You have a really good, smart head on your shoulders so I know you will really give it some very serious thought.

Now, I felt bad that they heard of my idea of quitting school, and e-mails like this make it really hard to do that.  Not only do I have to worry about where I would get funding to afford my apartment and bills while looking for work.  But, I would have to worry about my family thinking of me insane.  They are under the belief that all lawyers are rich people who drive fancy cars and have fancy women (or men if they are a lady).  However, I did not know what to say to this, so have not replied yet.  I don't want to say: "well, I'll give it another shot," even though I will probably at least stick with it through Spring and see if I can line up real work while doing school.  But, at the same time, I am not going to say, "I am going to quit after Spring if I find a good job."

Part of me would like to find a good job and quit and use the job as an excuse.  However, the reality is that I am probably not going to find one, hence me going to law school in the first place.  Either way, it's something else to think about as finals approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean