Sunday 8 July 2012

Finding a Job as a Law Student

I got friends in high places, where the money pours in and the women chase their non-existent blues away.  They'll be okay...

Sometimes I look at my life and I look at the things which are lacking.  I have never worked a real job, nor have I ever had a real income (I once worked part time at $13.25 an hour which was really nice at the time).  However, that being said, the idea of working in the private sector scares me greatly.  After some of the places I have worked, I have found myself unhappy.  For example, in the jobs I have found myself at, people tend to only fend for themselves, and really not care about the feelings of the employee.  At the same time, the employee is told that the customer, no matter how wrong, is always right.  No matter what they say or do, they are right, and we are wrong. 

I want to change my outlook on life.  I do not want to think that my life is lacking.  I do not want to think that I would be happier in some position making money.  I tell myself that I would one day like a piece of land or something like that (I am starting to get sick of apartment living).  However, I feel at the current rate of my earnings in life, that is a long time off.  I mean, if I can't even get a summer job at Starbucks, how am I supposed to bring in a solid income?  What was the point of my Bachelor's degree if I can't use it to find a barista job?  It is really annoying to me, as I spent a lot of time and money, and lived in relative squalor to achieve it.  After it was said and done, the friends I had in high school who decided to not go to college are making far more than I do.  It is crazy, to say the least.

For example, this semester I will get $11,000 in living expenses in loans.  My rent is $1,300, which is far more than I wanted to pay, but it took me a long time to get the place I have here in NY, as I did not have a cosigner, I have no job and income, and every other landlord I talked to said they would not take a student.  For five months that comes out to be $6,500 in rent.  Then I need books and money to get to school, food and utilities (I don't eat much, nor do I go out and 'enjoy life').  Further, I will need to put some money aside for next summer, as I don't get aid in the summer (will be graduated) and what am I to do then?  How will I pay rent without any money coming in?

I find myself thinking that even if I was lucky enough to make $35,000 a year I would be doing far better than I ever have.  In fact, after being in college most of my adult life, I have never once had that kind of money come in during a year.  With my frugal lifestyle I could probably save up something, and on top of that, with an income I could probably get a cheaper apartment.  Since I don't drive and rarely go out, I would be saving more.  If anything, college has taught me to be frugal and cheap.  I have realized I don't require much to live on, nor do I find myself wanting much.  I have realized that most material possessions are a waste of time and money.  Yet, at the same time, I would like to make some type of money.  Is it really that hard to find a decent job?  Hell, I am at the point right now that if I could find something, almost anything for $35,000 I would quit law school in a heartbeat.

In a heartbeat...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean