Monday 15 July 2013

First thoughts Re: Esqspot.com

Craigslist Ad for EsqSpot.com
There are a lot of "social" ways out there to get legal jobs.  The first one I found was JD Match.  I used this site a while back and didn't have much luck with it.  I always wondered if it was the kind of site that helped people from the Elite schools (such as Georgetown) more than those from lesser known schools.  Also, I figured that it was the kind of place that mainly existed for those who were on law review or were in the top 10-15% of their class.  As such I never heard back.

Today I was looking at Craigslist for part time jobs to get me by until I move back to the west coast.  I came across this ad here.  I posted a picture above, but will also post the text below for those who are having trouble reading it:

Are you an attorney or a legal professional looking for your next job or a way to advance your career in the legal field? Opportunities will not come knocking and sending out your resume with thousands of others on Craigslist will not help. You should be networking, meeting other legal professionals, and making personal connections!

Join Esqspot.com, a new online community of legal professionals. Esqspot is built with the goal of establishing a real community exclusively for legal professionals, where members can find career opportunities, refer cases, ask questions, get advice, share knowledge and support each other. We are also hosting joint live networking events with NYCLA and The Brooklyn Bar Association to give our members a chance to meet and network with other legal professionals in person.

Membership is absolutely FREE and there are no point systems or limitation of any kind, just an open platform for sharing and supporting each other. There are now over 500 legal professionals on Esqspot!

Join today and post your availability and resume in the "Jobs" forum to get noticed by other attorneys. You will greatly increase your chances of finding your next carer opportunity. And since its free, you have nothing to lose!

Sign up at Esqspot.com.


Anyway, here is a picture of the website of Esqspot.  It seems like it's a social network for law students.  Think LinkedIn or Facebook, but for those holding a coveted Juris Doctorate.  Now, I wonder how valuable such a site will be.  Keep in mind, I gave up LinkedIn a while back, as I found no use for it as a law student.  I still think that LinkedIn is highly dubious and have no plans on going back.

I also noticed that Esqspot is hosting a "midsummer's eve party."  I am not a very social person, so there's no way I would go to something like this.  I can't help but wonder what kind of individuals will be here.  Will it be law grads who are still looking for work, big time Cardozo top 10%ers or those who are stroking their Columbia educated egos?  Or perhaps it's mostly future 1Ls and summer students? 

Thinking about the site, and the fact that they want you to sign up using your Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn account, I doubt I will join.  Social Networks generally do not get people jobs.  Instead, I am a firm believer that it's making connections and creating tailored resumes and cover letters that land people jobs.  Also, volunteering your time and getting skills helps.  Sitting around on the internet poking people over a social network will do you very little in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean