Thursday 18 July 2013

How To Find a Job

How do I find a job? 

For those who are just looking at this blog, I am a recent law graduate in NYC.  I am currently studying for the bar, but I also have my eye open for a job.  I may have something after I take the bar, I am told, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.  That means I will still be looking for a job and helping others with it.

I have read that many people here are looking for jobs, even after months of searching.  Therefore, I want to share my strategy for finding a job.  I also want to look at some of the reasons why I believe that some people are not finding a job.  Over time I hope to improve this guide so that it helps other people who are in my position.

1.  You can not be picky in today's economy.

I feel that too many people are starting out by being picky. That might work if you live in your parent's basement, but if you have bills piling up and real responsibility, that is not going to work.  As for me, I don't have much of a choice other than work.  That means I have to keep my eye open and take work wherever it may pop up.  That may mean getting a job as a barista, a waiter, a security guard, or whatever pays the bills (as long as it is ethical).

Look on Simplicity (if your school offers it) or any other job bank that your school offers.  This is probably the best place to start, because you will not be competing with the same number (read: legions) of people that you will be on Craigslist.

2.  Consider supplementing your income with sperm and egg donation.



This one really works well for those who are law graduates or have advanced degrees.  Your sperm will be valued, because, for some reason, sperm donation places want donors to have an advanced degree.  They believe it makes the offspring smarter (there is little proof of this).  However, would be parents are paying big money to have a child that has a parent as a doctor or lawyer, so you might as well take advantage of it and run with it. 

Here in New York, you can make about $1,200 a month donating sperm, and you get free health screenings!  For women, you can make even more donating your eggs!  What is really amazing about this opportunity is that you can still work a job on the side, and you should easily be able to pay your rent off $1,200 if you are not trying to live above your means in the East Village.

3.  Network like crazy!


What does this even mean?  I am no networking guru, but I would imagine a good place to start is your school or a school.  See what events are going on.  Talk to your career services office.  If they are not helpful, keep bothering them so they want to get you a job and get rid of you. 

I don't think network means schmoozing or trying to be someone you are not, and I will not do this.  Instead, I think it means using whatever source you can in order to land a job.  You might even be able to network while donating sperm (see #2, above).

4.  Start your own business on the side.


Put an ad on Craigslist saying you will watch people's pets.  I did this, and although I have yet to get a hit, it could bring in a bit of extra money.  Consider cleaning houses, or doing tasks that others need done.  Help people move.  Make something and sell it online.  Do you have some stuff that you could sling on Ebay?  Maybe you could find some things.  Hit some garage sales and give it a shot.  There has to be something you can do!  If not, you might just be being lazy.

And, with your own business, you can network with those who you are meeting.

5.  Consider Africa



Last night I found myself watching this video and wondering if the individuals therein were right.  Perhaps Africa is the place to go.  I just got back from a trip to Africa, and let me tell you, it is a much different place than the U.S. and Europe.  Things are not as comfortable, but the experience you get there could make a huge difference in your life and the lives of others.  I may write more on this in the future, as I thought about looking into it myself.  I am sure Africa needs lawyers just like anywhere else. 

6.  Teach English Overseas

Just be careful with getting into a good TESOL, CELTA or TEFL program.  You want one that has a lot of teaching components.  I have read that the online ones generally are not as good, nor are they accepted in a lot of countries.  Teaching English overseas is a great way to make some extra money and live a pretty exciting life. 

7.  Always stay positive!

Job hunting should not be looked at in a negative way.  Think of it as a game.  Think of it as a treasure hunt.  Don't get down on yourself.  Some people spend over a year looking for a job.  It sucks.  Apply for unemployment, food stamps, anything that you can to stay afloat.  If you have student loan debt, get on IBR or a forbearance immediately.  Do everything you can to make money and get money.  You will likely learn a lot from this process.  Keep a journal, because you will probably be back in this position one day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean