Friday 28 December 2012

Moving on... (the straw that broke the camel's back)



First, I would like to say that I like to think of my blog as a place to express my ideas.  I understand that people disagree with them, and that is fine.  However, using profanity and calling people hurtful names is going to do nothing to get you more liked or respected in life.  That is also true in regards to this blog.  At the same time, I have gotten out what I am going to say about the scamblog movement (which I am not a part of) and move on towards other parts of my life.  I believe that many people enjoyed reading about my life and my studies and that is why people kept coming back.  I don't want this blog to be another scam blog.  In fact, I don't want to even acknowledge that such a "scam" exists or doesn't exist.  The word scam and law school don't go together at all.  And with that it's time to move on.

I am enjoying my time off for Christmas break.  I have spent a lot of time with the wife to be and have also enjoyed getting some time to just sit back and relax.  I am looking forward to school to start up and seeing what the future holds.  With that being said, I am somewhat scared of the future.  The truth is, I don't know where I will end up working or how I am going to get by after school is over.  That has been a fear of mine for a while.  With that being said, all I can do right now is remain confident that things will work out for me.  I am sure that they will.  I have been in worse situations and life has always turned out better than expected.

I have been working on editing a book which I will be finishing up tomorrow.  I will be publishing it myself and look forward to making a little bit of side money on it.  I also want to spend some time reading some psychology before school starts up.  Next semester I have some interesting classes which I think will transfer well into outside non-legal jobs.  One of these is real estate.  I know that the real estate market is huge in New York, and I have made friends with the broker that helped me get this place.  I am sure that he could help me get a job as a broker if I was interested.  I am not sure if I want to take that route right now, but it is an option.  Like I said before, life is full of options if you are open minded.

I am also going to look for a part time job during law school in which I can earn some money.  I am thinking about studying for the bar myself in Central America or in India.  I will sublet my apartment out and enjoy some time traveling before going to work.  I may actually be able to make some money by doing that.  My plan as of now is to rent a house for about $300-400 a month and rent this place out for about $1300-1500 furnished for the summer.  During my second year of law school I made a good amount of money by renting a spare bedroom in my last apartment on Roomorama.com.  I paid $1300 for my studio apartment, but after renting the bedroom out to tourists, I sometimes paid close to $400 (it was fun, like a bed and breakfast set up).  I later got a roommate who paid $775, which allowed me to live quite cheaply.  I furnished the room and the people who stayed there really enjoyed it.  That just goes to show that there are ways to make money on the side for those who are industrious enough to try.

I enjoyed my Christmas a lot.  It was nicer than years past when I worked in a retail like environment and everyone was obsessed with buying gifts and not enjoying the reason for the holiday.  I hated that.  I would have liked to rent a cabin somewhere in nature for Christmas, but that will have to wait until I earn a bit of money.  There are some good deals to be had at some of the state parks.  Right now I am just trying to save up for summer and the possibility of moving to the West coast after law school. 

I must say I was disheartened that so many people read my blog on Christmas.  I feel that Christmas is a time to spend with loved ones and not to visit scamblogs or to lament about life.  I think that's what really set me off about not wanting to be a part of the "movement" any longer.  I realize that my previous posts were pretty strong, but I came to the end of my rope with those things.  It's like the straw that breaks the camel's back.  I realized I could only take so much of the negativity.  I am not cut out for that kind of thing.

So, here on out the message is going to be about my life, my experiences with law school, and some of the lessons I have learned along the way.  I might even post some of the ways I have found to earn money and be frugal in life.  I hope that people continue to read and get something out of this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean