Saturday 1 December 2012

Moving Overseas After College/Law School: Chiang Mai, Thailand


 I saw this video online recently and I found it to be rather intriguing. I have spent a couple of weeks in Chiang Mai and about two months in Thailand, and I must say, it's a place I have strongly considered living. It is quite different than the United States, but it is a very interesting and beautiful country. The food is amazing, travel is cheap, and entertainment is plentiful. Thai culture itself is diverse and interesting. A cheap railway ticket can get you to the beach paradises of Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, and Ko Samui. Bangkok is an intense city unlike any in the United States. Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are both easy to get to via railway, and air travel around Southeast Asia is often inexpensive thanks to low budget airlines such as Tiger Airways.

The picturesque landscape of coastal Thailand.
I am considering leaving the US to study for the bar exam. I may sublet my apartment here in New York while I am away and live somewhere like Thailand or Central America in a house rental. Houses can easily be had for $200-$400 a month versus $1200 here in New York. Plane tickets to Central America are about $450 round trip from the northeast United States. Plane tickets to Bangkok can be found for $1300 round trip. Of course, there is the issue of making money outside of the United States. Teaching English in Thailand is an option. For this reason I am considering taking one of the courses to learn how to teach a foreign language. Coupled with a degree, one can teach English in one of these countries. It is a good way to supplement a lower cost of living. Not everyone is hip on the idea of leaving the United States. Personally, while I do love it here, the idea of spending a couple of years somewhere else is incredibly appealing to me. This is because I have traveled and realize that there are some amazing places outside of the United States that I really enjoyed. I know that I could have a great time living in these places for a few months or a few years. Further, there is the possibility of doing law for expats outside of the United States. While I have not researched that aspect of it, I plan to in the next few months.

Ko Samui, a popular resort destination in Thailand.
I can't help but feel excited at the idea of leaving the United States and living a while in another country.  I know that a lot of people talk about running from their debts and starting a new life somewhere else.  I don't know if I would go as far to "run from my debts."  But, the opportunity to live somewhere exotic and inexpensive is appealing to me. 

Thailand is one of those places that many people consider relocating to, and for good reason.  The cost of living is extremely low compared to the United States.  When I visited Thailand, I found that the 'tourist' prices are lower than other countries, but they are still high.  Thus, in order to live in Thailand one must try to live like a local somewhat.  What that means is eating in the restaurants that locals eat at, buying foods at grocery stores where locals shop, and not always staying on the comfortable and visually appealing 'tourist boulevards.'  That being said, I found Chiang Mai to be visually appealing throughout.  The central city, also known as the old city is gorgeous.  The mountains that surround the city offer all kinds of outdoor diversions.  One can buy an inexpensive motorcycle or scooter to get around quite easily.  Bus transportation is mere dollars and is plentiful.  The small village of Pai is a close trip from Chiang Mai and is a celebrated enclave for alternative thinkers and "hippies."  No matter what your interest, there is probably a way to engage in it.
Chiang Mai is in the northern interior part of Thailand surrounded by mountains.
Furthermore, I find that trying new experiences opens one's mind and lets them see what is important in life.  After spending seven years in college, why not truly learn about the world?  There is only so much that can be taught in a classroom.  No class on Thailand or Asia will tell you as much about the country as visiting it will.  You will notice that you have many preconceived notions about the outside world that are false.  A truly amazing life can be had overseas. 

One thing that many people do not like about some touristy areas of Thailand (and one issue that I did not like myself) was that sometimes a fair skinned individual is treated like a walking ATM.  This was the case in many of the places I visited.  With that being said, you may want to read up on various scams that exist in Thailand.  As you spend time in the country you will learn that if something seems false or too good to be true, it is.  There is no reason to be scared of going to Thailand, though.  It's a great place!
Ko Phi Phi, Thailand.  A gorgeous island near Phuket.

A sample budget may look like this.

Airfare to and from the United States - purchased in advance.
(From New York: $1,300 round trip)
(From Los Angeles: $1,100 round trip)
Transportation to Chiang Mai from Bangkok via train: $50
Monthly rent in Chiang Mai: from $200 - $400.
Food: can be cheap depending on how you eat.  $150 should be adequate for a single person, another $75-100 for a couple.
Transportation around Chiang Mai: very cheap, possible to walk around the city easily.

*Utilities may be included in rent.  Wifi internet is sometimes included as well.  Internet cafes are plentiful.

Compare those costs with living in the United States, owning a car, renting an apartment, paying insurance, gas, etc.  If you can create a way to make money overseas (teaching English, providing a service to others, writing, etc.), then you can probably live quite well. 

Looking down onto Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Interested in an amazing book that shows you how you can be making money while living in Thailand? Click Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean