Tuesday 21 May 2013

It's time to move out of your parent's basement.



Yesterday I went back to Springfield, MA.  It was interesting to see the town where I spent my first year of law school again.  Part of me really missed it there. 

But, now I am no longer there.  Life goes on.  Law school comes and goes.  Many people can't get past the latter idea.  That law school ends.  Many people are still perpetual students in their minds.  They did not develop past law school.  Perhaps it is because their parents coddled them throughout law school.  Maybe they moved back in with mother and pa after law school.  They failed to thrive.  They never grew wings.  And they are angry.

It's time to fly, young one!

I moved out at the tender age of 18.  I knew that if I wanted to live according to my dreams I (and not my parents) was responsible for that.  I knew that it was all up to me -- not the government, not the schools, and not my mother.

YET MOST OF MY CRITICS HAVE AN EXTERNAL LOCUS OF CONTROL.  They think that it is up to EVERYONE ELSE to wipe their butts for them.  They can not get their minds around the idea that it is not the school's fault that they failed.

It.  Is.  Their.  Fault.  Too.

I would love to survey those who are bamboozled in life and ask them, "how long did you live with your parents?"  I imagine that many of those who are sore about school lived with their parents for a very, very long time.  One of my readers openly stated that he moved in with his inlaws after law school.  No wonder he failed to thrive in life.

Fernando Rodriguez?
Living with your parents does not make you a bad person.  Either does complaining about law school.  But your complaints fall on deaf ears.  Nobody cares except for the legions of other whiners.  Those who realized a long time ago that their lives were up to them have moved on.  They have often found jobs and happiness.  They realize that there is little time to whine on the internet.

Tell your parents: I AM MOVING OUT, MOTHER!  FATHER, SEE YOU LATER!  I am GOING MY OWN WAY!

Grow up.  Get a job.  Move up the ladder.  And stop making excuses!  If you honestly think that posting pictures of poop on the internet is adult behavior, think again.  If you honestly think that whining on YouTube is going to make your life somehow magical, think again.   You will be miserable if you continue to dwell and stew on the past.  You will always be miserable if you continue to MAKE EXCUSES! 

It is time to MOVE ON.  Get out of your mother's nest and fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean