Sunday 12 May 2013

The Epic Story of a Law School Legend They Call Mr. Infinity





I could hear graduation bells ringing in my head as I stood up and walked out of the law school exam room.  I was going to graduate!  I was going to graduate law school!  The first in my family to do it.  Not only to enter college, but to graduate law school!  Hells bells and sea shells! 

I would not be attending my law school graduation, however.  No sir.  I had other plans.  As I made my way to the stairs I thought of my upcoming trip to Egypt.  Of my impending family visit.  And of my future.  I smiled.  I did not need to sit around at a graduation and let others dole over my successes.  After all, I knew that I had succeeded.  Even if I didn't land in the top quartile of my class.

TWO DAYS LATER

The sultry air tickled my lungs as I took a deep breath.  It was getting warmer now, and thoughts of my legal education barely existed.  Was life so different now compared to what it was like say four, or perhaps even five years earlier?  No, it was not.  Life was, by and large, the same.  I stood outside, next to my wife, in the city that we had now called home.  We walked through a park together and listened to the sounds of children, ice cream trucks, and barking dogs.  Did law school destroy my life somehow?  No.  It did not.  Instead, I found that I was pretty much the same person who I was before law school.  Only now I had a legal job to go to at the end of the weekend.

Now, let me back up a little bit at this point and introduce myself.  My name, for all intents and purposes in this story, is Howard Roark.  I would describe myself as tall, with short and thick brown hair, clean shaven, and wearing glasses.  I like to dress casual.  Generally I am clad in blue jeans and wear a t-shirt.  Oftentimes at home, however, I wear nothing, as there is something about feeling the air against my body.  I am light skinned and like to keep my body in shape.  As a vegan I try to watch my fat intake.  My weakness is the avocado.  I also enjoy milk made from nuts.  All of that adds a healthy dose of fat into my life.  In the evening I sometimes will either do yoga (in the nude) or exercise by lifting weights.  I exercise in front of a mirror that is above a fireplace.  I like to see all of my muscles working as I lift.  I feel that it is important to keep a good body.  Sometimes, after a work out, I find myself making passionate love to my wife. 

Although I currently call the city of New York my home, I come from and long to return to the salty seaside city of San Francisco.  This is where I spent much of my adult life and where I yearn to return.  I went to college in San Francisco and spent a few years living in one of the city's seeder neighborhoods, the Tenderloin.  Although I lived in this neighborhood, I found myself grow fond of its certain attributes.  For example, I found the dining options in the Tenderloin to be superb.  I also liked its proximity to various areas of the city.  However, I was not born in nor was I raised in San Francisco.  I come from the Northwest, and that is where my family lives.  My dear mother now lives in the bustling city of Tacoma while my father lives in Spokane.  My wife's family also is from the Spokane area, and it is there where I was married. 


So here I was, standing at the park, overlooking the George Washington Bridge.  Dogs were playing below and so were the children.  My wife was next to me and my arm was around her.  She was perhaps prouder of my law school accomplishment than I was.  We did not talk about money, though.  Instead, we were thinking about the not do distant future when we would be headed off to the middle east to celebrate.  We had traveled all over the world before.  From the great cities of London and Paris, to the far off jungles of Thailand.  We had spent many months outside of the United States traveling, but we were especially excited for this upcoming trip. 

Now, let me rewind back to law school and to the beginning.  It was 2010 when we had arrived in a town we shall call Springfield, Massachusetts.  We had left California and left a job at In-N-Out Burger behind and were ready to begin a new phase of our lives.  Springfield was far different than San Francisco.  But it was here that I would beginning law school.  The school was called Western New England College.  I did not know what to expect of it.  We had taken a three day long Greyhound bus ride to get to this town and had given away much of what we had owned.  In our bags was some clothing and our toothbrushes.  Oh, and some toothpaste and combs.  Little else. 

The bus ride was rough, but what really mattered was our preparing for the future.  We never made that good of money.  Our world travels were mostly a result of meticulous saving and extreme frugality.  Neither of us stood to inherit anything.  Neither of us had rich families.  In fact, our families were often perplexed at how we were able to travel oh-so very often to oh-so amazing places.

It was as I made passionate love to my wife in a bed and breakfast that I realized that I was indeed about to enter law school.  I was excited.  I spent a couple of years trying to get into the best law school I could get into.  I applied to almost every school in New York, San Francisco, Massachusetts, and in the Pacific Northwest.  I got into a few during the third year of applying, and when I found out I just up and left.  "To Massachusetts!" I, Howard Roark, cried.

And it began...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean