Thursday 21 March 2013

Does Law School Make People Mean?

Being mean to others destroys you in the end.
Many people believe that lawyers are mean people.  I have known my share of lawyers who came across as being alpha types.  In fact, many lawyers are seen as argumentative and powerful people who do not back down to anyone.  However, I want to be known as something different.  I want to be known as a nice lawyer.

There are many people who are both lawyers and respectful of others.  For a while, I could not help but wonder if that was the case.  For example, when I used to read some of the blogs that were angry at law school, I noticed the people there were all mean spirited, vexful and hateful individuals.  These people helped me realize that I wanted to become something different.  I wanted to remain nice. 

If law school makes a person mean, then the person must be somewhat weak.  Law school is a challenge, but it doesn't have to change who you are as a person.  Many people break easily.  Many anti-law school bloggers broke under law school.  Some went bat-nuts-insane.  These people often blame law school, but I think that they should blame themselves, too. 

There is a good post about being nice to others here that I recommend you read.  I have been mean to others in my life.  For example, I have said things that I am not proud of.  Sometimes I would write stories that were calculated to 'get back' at others.  One such story (more of a novella) was focused at my sister-in-law and called The Desolate.  It was basically a prediction of her future life.  I have since deleted it. 

One day I overheard a lawyer say "I am not your friend, I am your lawyer."  This will cost the lawyer a repeat client.  Maybe this is why some people do not succeed in 'hanging their own shingle.'  With that being said, not all lawyers are mean people.  If I am to start my own law firm, I will make sure that none of my partners are mean people.  We will respect our clients, other employees, and each other.  There will be a strict 'no cussing' rule.  Such an atmosphere will only help a law firm grow.  Many people think that being mean will get them ahead.  Well, the truth is, mean people lose in life.  At first they may seem to get ahead, but in the end their own attitudes destroy them.  Look at the scamblogs.  Here is an example of people who are miserable with their lives.  When I mentioned getting married, they were vexful at the idea.  No wonder they can not find happiness.  Love is an anomolie to them.  Such a thought is counter to who they are. 

Thank you all so much for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean