Sunday 31 March 2013

Kindness May Improve Mental Health

A recent article on the BCC, called "Love Letters and Kindness May Improve Mental Health" is something that many should think about.  Especially in an age where it seems that so many people are, well, just plain mean.

Dr Lynn Alden and Dr Jennifer Trew, from the University of British Columbia, asked volunteers with high levels of social anxiety to commit multiple acts of kindness on two days a week over a four-week period.
"Sometimes people would give a small gift to somebody, or picking somebody up from work, visiting sick people, thanking a bus driver. They were actually fairly small acts," explained Dr Alden.
They were small acts perhaps, but ones which had a much bigger impact. Source: BBC World News
Why is it, then, that many people find it so hard to be nice to each other?  I have dealt with people, who, find it beneficial to be mean to each other.  And then, there is the flip side.  Those who are nice to each other are sometimes a part of a crazy cult like place.  Watching the video below, I could not help but think that this was the perfect life.  Except, the big flaw, worshiping a false God. 


We, as people, crave kindness, but we don't want to give it.  It's as if we hoard it for people who we are related to or who somehow give us what we want first.  And if someone doesn't believe like us, we feel the need to dislike them, to prove them wrong, or we start to hate them.  But is this healthy?  No, I believe it will backfire.  Did Jesus ever hate his enemies or those who crossed him?  So, why should we dislike those who cross us? 

Many state that my theory of positive thinking is absurd.  However, I believe that it is the only way in which a person can live a sane and healthy life.  There is NOTHING that negative thinking will get you.  No romantic partner will want a lifetime of that.  Friends will back away from you for it.  And you won't get anywhere in life with that attitude.  Many people, likewise, think that those who are kind are just pushovers.  Well, that's also not true.  And what if it was?  I would rather be a kind pushover than a jerk.  Being a jerk throughout life may get you ahead for a while, but will it get you the ultimate prize?  No, probably not. 

The benefits of kindness are apparent, but the perceived cost is too high for many.  Sometimes it is even hard for me to not appreciate everyone for who they are.  Sometimes I get angry at family or old flames for how they vexed me or crossed me.  But, such anger is never healthy. 

Why are some people so downright mean?  I have always wondered this, but now I find myself wondering it more than ever.  Being mean, to me, shows desperation.  Yes, I think that is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean