Tuesday 19 March 2013

What is being a law student really like?



Many people wonder what it is like to be a law student.  There are many books on this subject.  There are also many blogs on this subject.  Some do better than others at conveying  information of what being a law student is like, however.  In this post I want to share with my readers what it is like being a law student.  My experiences will be different than other people's, no doubt, and they often depend on a number of factors. 

I want to talk a bit about myself before I start.  I was not a typical law student.  I went to Undergrad and then worked for a few years before law school.  I worked at a fast food restaurant in California where I was often told that I would be a good manager by the higher ups, including the store manager, district manager, and other management crew.  The manager at this restaurant made over $150,000 plus bonuses and paid vacations that included airfare, hotel, and everything for his family.  However, I found that I was not happy with the job and had no visions in giving up the required time that it would take to be a manager here.  I wanted to do law school.  At this time I had never read a 'scam blog' and I am glad I never have.  But, to be honest, had I read every scam blog on the internet before starting law school, I would have STILL went to law school.  In fact, even if law school was DOUBLE the price, I would have STILL went!  And I know that I am not alone.

I am different.  Not superior, but different.  For a while in life I let others hold me back.  I always regretted that, however.  I started to realize that my life was mine to live.  I found that much happiness followed once I realized this.  Further, I had long since learned that money was not everything in the world to me.  I realized that I enjoyed living a dynamic life, which includes taking risks and not knowing where the road will take me.  I am a vegan and care about my body and mind.  Thinking negative is not something I get enjoyment out of.  Many people will look at this post and scoff.  Perhaps they will think such talk is crazy.  However, I ask myself, are such people happy with their lives?  If you want to do something with your life, don't let anything hold you back

Law school, at first, was scary.  The Socratic method is something that few people enjoy.  You are literally put on the spot in front of many people, including a professor that is hellbent on challenging the way you think.  No matter what you say, you will probably not be right.  In fact, most of what you say will be wrong.  Dead wrong.  You will walk out of class feeling silly.  However, you will begin to learn how to think differently.  You will be starting to learn how to think like a lawyer.  This is the first ability law school teaches you, and it is a powerful tool in every aspect of life.  That is, if you use it.

Law school is a lot like undergrad.  There are events, such as marathons and the Barrister's Ball, which is like prom I am told.  I did not go to these events, as I am not into that kind of social interaction, especially "night life" as it is called.  However, these things do exist and they try to make law school more exciting. 

Also, like undergrad, there are many clubs and groups in law school that are based on a variety of interests.  There are clubs for bisexual, lesbian, transgendered and gay law students, there are clubs for animal rights (sadly, not at my school -- I would have joined), there are environmental law clubs, business law clubs, clubs based on race.  Really, there's a club for a lot of things. 

Authors Note: I am going to write a future post about animal law and how that was not offered at my school.  I have always considered myself close to animals and considered joining Sea Shepherd after law school.  Therefore, I would have loved to take a course on animal law. 
One thing that I notice about law school is that people seem to have money.  And a lot of it.  I see very fancy clothing, purses, computers, phones, and shoes everywhere.  I see people shopping during class for curtains, furniture that costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars, and sometimes homes.  In fact, I have noticed that many students are buying homes while in law school.  I don't know if that is the school I go to, but I have nowhere near the kind of money that these people have.  Also, you will see a good amount of older students, some pregnant law students, and even law students that had great success before coming in.  You are surrounded by a lot of different people, and it's hard to not feel intimidated at times.  Don't let that bother you though.  You're here to learn.

Unlike undergrad, there is intense competition in law school.  That is not to say none exists in undergrad, but the competition is everywhere in law school.  People want to be on law review or in Moot Court and will try hard to do it.  I don't seem to mind it, but it's there.  That being said, I have never seen a law student sabotage another's work, nor have I seen one cheat or openly talk about cheating.  Many seem to follow the rules and give others respect.  But there is competition.

If you are thinking about law school, I recommend you go tour a couple of schools.  There are a wide variety of schools out there, and every one offers tours.  Most law schools are very transparent and they will tell you what you can expect to be earning and doing after you graduate.  Not everyone finds monetary success after law school, but many people find that it was essential for them as a stepping stone in life.  Ask the school what you can expect as a graduate.  At my school, there is career services help and other services for life for all graduates.  I really must say, the school I go to is very approachable and the individuals there are all very helpful.  The same can be said about my previous school (except for career services). 

Do I recommend law school?  Would I go again if I had to do it all over?  At this point in life: yes, I do, and yes I would.  As I am nearing graduation, I am realizing that I made a good choice.  You will hear how many people do not have jobs, but the reality is that many people do have jobs lined up, and those who did internships and clinics and who try to find work in their last semester are getting jobs.  Those who did not find jobs are often those who did not try or those who thought that blindly sending hundreds of resumes alone would get them something.  As a law student, my advice is to get a ton of legal experience and take classes that translate into business and starting your own practice.  Although I would be scared to start my own practice at first, I am finding that with the experience I am getting, I could probably make some money on my own right after law school. 

Thanks for reading, and come back sometime.  I have a lot more to say on doing well in law school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean