Tuesday 2 April 2013

Boomers v. Millennials: Who is Smarter?

Many thought they could text message their way through law school and end up making $160,000 afterwards.  Sorry, Nando, it doesn't work that way.

A couple days ago I was pointed to a very interesting article in the New York Times, entitled "Do Millennials Stand a Chance in the Real World?"  This article was intriguing to me for some of the following reasons:

First, it made me realize that as a whole the Millennials have some huge problems if they want to succeed in the world, and,
Second, it really made me realize just how little real competition I have. 

While much of the article was full of economic factors, it was actually the following paragraph that I found highly relevant and worth talking about in detail:


In a Pew Research Center survey in which different generations were asked what made them unique, baby boomers responded with qualities like “work ethic”; millennials offered “clothes.”

Now, before continuing reading, go back to that above sentence and read it again . Take some time to process it.  Clothes.  Millennials think clothes is what makes them unique?  I was shocked.  That's the best that they can come up with?  That sentence, to me, mimics the very mentality of the scambloggers. 

*** What is a Scamblogger? ***

For those who do not know, or who are new to this blog, Scambloggers (also known as Law School Scambloggers) are a group of adults who have generally graduated from law school that, instead of looking for legal work, would rather sit on the internet and whine about the state of their lives on various internet blogs and news sites.  There is at least 15 law school scamblogs out there, but they generally come and later vanish.  For example, "Professor" Campos (it is still unknown to me, and possibly others, if he was indeed a professor) had a scamblog which recently ended its longwinded and motivationally questionable law school rant adult temper tantrum.  While nobody really knows why the blog was shut down, rumor has it that it was probably due to the fact that he was able to publish a book.  It is my opinion, and the opinion of others who I speak to, that "Prof." Campos was possibly only scamblogging to garnish information for a book which he now sells on Amazon.  More on this later.

Oh, and scambloggers are loathe to anyone who does not agree with their message.  Some use terms like "corkroach" or racial slurs to marginalize anyone who does not agree with their view.  While, I, myself, no longer visit and comment on scamblogs, many people do in my name.  It is my belief (probably as a result of reading a lot of Ayn Rand when I was younger) that there are two kinds of people in the world: Those who produce and do something with their lives, and those who leech off the rest of society.  You can imagine which group I see scambloggers belonging in.  I do not say the following to be mean, but, I do think that the scambloggers, as they are, represent the very vile and lowest bottom-feeders of society.  When I see a scamblog disappear from the internet, I feel hopeful that the individual has found that what they were doing was a waste of their time and I hope that they find a way in which they can be happy with their life.  I honestly do believe that spreading misery to the world is a sad way in which to live one's life. 

***

Back to the views of the Millennails: If they do indeed think it all comes down to their name brand clothing and how they look, they are doomed.  The Boomers answer of "work ethic" is far superior to what makes a person unique.  Work ethic implies something that is inside of you, something that is a part of you, and something that lasts for a great amount of time. When I read the answer of "clothing" I actually felt embarassed.  In fact, when I read that I probably blushed.  Hell Heck, as I sit in my law school library right now writing this, I am probably red faced. 

Sadly, this generation thinks that things such as cell phones, clothing, and material goods make them unique.  When members of our generation don't land a $150,000 a year job in order to assert their "uniqueness" to the rest of the world, they throw a fit.  In fact, many scambloggers have laughed at me because I do not see the point in earning a huge amount of income to assert my individuality.  Let me say, right now, that being unique is not about what you wear or what you own.  It's about WHO you are ARE.  It's about what you have contributed, how you treat other people, the respect you give to others, what you are known for.  It's not about something that will eventually decompose that hangs from your body.  It's not about something that you can walk into a store and purchase. 

This is the mentality I am up against.  No wonder people these days do not create on the same level as people in the past.  Instead, many waste their time on their phones and laptops in class and once they graduate, they whine about how they can not find a job.  Instead of working internships, many feel that they are entitled to a job as a result of a JD.  Many think that they will graduate and be handed a job without having any work ethic.  How hard did many of these people work in law school?  If it's the same as I see in my classes, I must say not much.  When half the class is randomly surfing the internet during a class lecture, how can they expect to find paid employment?  If a person is not doing anything to develop themselves other than showing off their "clothing" then there is a problem.

The scambloggers, to me, represent the group of people who wanted something for nothing and now throw a fit because they did not get it.  They are the ones who answer "clothing" when asked what makes them unique.  The rest of their day is spent arguing on random internet forums.  While I am traveling to Egypt, Puerto Rico, and The Netherlands, saving up income to purchase long term assets and developing a business, scambloggers are b**chin'.  While I am spending each semester engaged in employment and law school, while at the same time asking myself "what I want out of life, asking.  "how can I do something to help others, to contribute to the world," the scambloggers are hating me for it.  Ask yourself right now: What is the better life?  What makes you unique.  It's not anything that you can purchase.  It's who you are inside.

This very popular blog entry was written by The (highly esteemed) World Traveling Law Student, also known as Mr. Infinity, The Legendary Law Student of the Infinite Mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean